Monday, May 20, 2013

Living Water, Real Power



"But whoever drinks the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again.  The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."  John 4:14 (ESV)

Last night at the final meeting of our Just Walk Across the Room small group, a young woman (fairly new to our church) spoke candidly about her struggle to lose weight.  She told us that being overweight was causing some potentially serious health problems and that she had recently become convicted that she needed to lose weight - to get into a better state of health and, more importantly, to better honor the God who created and loves her.

She told us about how proud she was that in the last six weeks, she has only missed her daily exercise routine once (last Friday; she had doctor's appointments and attended her friend's Mother's funeral).  And we were incredibly proud and happy for her.  You can really hear in her voice how serious she is about losing the weight.  Very powerful.

She shared two Scriptures with us that she has continually prayed over since making the decision to lose weight and get into better physical shape:

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  Philippians 4:13

"I am the vine; you are the branches.  If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me, you can do nothing."  John 15:5

Don't these really say it all about the Christian life?  In a world that offers false hope and disappointments daily, God promises power and strength in Jesus Christ for our lives.  And it's amazing the difference He makes in our lives when we walk with Him, along His path.  Why go it alone?  We don't have to!  Pray this prayer today:

"Lord, it's another day, to be filled with challenges to meet and decisions to be made.  Lord, I pray that you will fill me with your Spirit so I might make wise decisions and honor you today.  Thank you for Jesus, Lord.  Thank you that I don't have to go it alone, in my own power.  Thank you that you share your power with me in Jesus Christ.  Through you, I can do all things.  Bless me to your service today, Lord.  Amen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Your comment will appear shortly after it is reviewed by the administrator.